Monday, April 18, 2005

H.No. 39-10-29


Yessiree!!! I've found time soon enough. This must oficially be the shortest break I took between any of my posts. Mr. Jobless, I always am, but right now, I am un-lazy enough to type and so here comes rolling, the second post in as many days. With reference to the last post, even before you ask, my grand viva was, well, grand!!!. My mom reads this blog and therefore I stubbornly refuse to add any more adjectives in this case.

Anyways, like I was saying in the last post, a lot has happend in my life in the last month. Prince Charles' charming second wedding, you say?? Certainly, but I'll talk about that looser later. If he hasn't already ruined it and started dating a third woman, that is. Right now I am referring to events closer to home, one particular incident that's tampering with my compass and wrecking it. My dad's got promoted and with that, has been suddenly transferred, for the first time, from Vizag to Mumbai. All my life I have lived in this one great place and suddenly we got to pack and leave. I mean, it must be allright for people with their dads as bankers, the only people who are upholding the nomadic tradition in India today. They are the true urban bedouins of our age. Like Chaitu for example, who, courtesy his dad's job at SBI, must be holding the Guiness record for the most number of educational institutions anyone has studied in. My dad is definitely not taking it well, himself. He absolutely loves his life at Vizag and it has been twenty-seven years in that city for him working for the same company throughout his career without a single transfer. Twenty-seven!!! Can you comprehend that number?? No?? Allright, it's the total number of runs Ganguly is going to make during the rest of his career. Aah, I see that you do comprehend now. So anyways, come next holidays,and it's not a south-bound journey from Kharagpur any more. Instead it's the classic "Go west, Young man, Go west". Aanchi Mumbai, here I come!!!

After living in one hell of a city all your life, I guess its not so easy to relocate yourself to a new place. I sure am going to miss this place a lot. My mom and dad wake up today to celebrate the silver jubilee of their wedding anniversary even as I type. If they would have been in the US, they would probably have been on the front page today recieving the "US Ratna for Matrimonial Harmony" from the newly wed President and his third wife, staring adoringly at her fifth husband, who would in turn be staring equally adoringly at his ninth personal secretary (kindly refer to the revised marriage oath - "we swear to be husband, wife and secretary, 'til crap do us part"). Anyways, here in India, the day is special just for the two of them. After this, my dad flies off to Mumbai in a week, my mom stays back in Vizag for some more time, my sister is still working at Hyderabad and I am stuck at Kharagpur for quite some time to come. I should probably pick up a monthly travel-ticket from the Indian railways.

And now I have to go back to House Number 39-10-29 to find it empty or travel straight to Mumbai. How there can be a brighter side to this story, I can't imagine but since I have begun to believe that it is often the case, I'll sure tell you when I see the light. And hey, I do get one last chance to stay at Vizag this summer, before we relocate/dislocate permanently. My last two months at that place, still, good enough to tie up all the threads I guess. While 39-10-29 is soon becoming more of a house and less of a home, it will remain my idea of home throughout my life. And then, there is this line that keeps coming back to me from the song, "The Final Countdown" as I key this blog in...

"...and maybe we'll come back, who knows, who can tell..." :D

And of course...Happy Wedding Anniversary, Mom and Dad!!!

6 Comments:

At 7:13 pm, Blogger Arvind Iyer said...

Another urban indian inspired by random nonsensical events of his life inflicting his rambling thoughts on other net-amigos who sadly believe that the world is interested in the intricacies their dull otiose life.
Liked it.
And wish your parents from my side too ! Happy Anniversary hemanth ke mummi-paapa

 
At 9:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey...cheer up...something better is in wait for you...waise nice blog...carry on the good work..and wish uncle and aunty a happy anniversary from my side...

rizi

 
At 2:08 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool...
nice stuff.
being regular is tough dude!

-Abhi

 
At 11:48 am, Blogger kpowerinfinity said...

its always tough to move on, but then u gotta do what u gotta do !

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger Arvind Iyer said...

You've been tagged !!!

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Hemanth said...

@ iyer: mera blog, meri marzee, tumko kya; freedom of speech; u preparing for GRE kya?? thank you; wished my parents from ur side..they said thanx and are probably reading ur blog now :-)


@ riz: thank you and wished my parent from ur side too..

@ abhinav: thanx, and u bet ur arse it is!!!

@ KK: :D

@iyer: hah..i have untagged myself!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home